It’s no shock that drivers today have become more dependent on hand-held technology. Such devices can cause a lot of safety issues on the road. Many distractions can come from texting, apps, and GPS. People also often enjoy eating, drinking and smoking while driving. In the US 9 people die every day from distracted driver-related accidents. Keep the following things in mind when thinking about how to avoid being distracted while driving.
Even a Glance at your Screen has an Impact
It can be hard not to look at that text that just popped up on your phone or switch playlists when the song isn’t your favorite, but these simple tasks can lead to devastating consequences. Even your car’s electronic dashboard can be a major distraction. For some easy ways to eliminate these distractions, follow these tips:
- Turn on your phone’s do not disturb setting.
- Leave your phone in your bag or inside the glove box.
- Create a playlist before getting in the car to avoid song change interruptions.
Practice Defensive Driving Habits
There are often times when you question how some drivers got their licenses. When in doubt, practice defensive driving habits to steer clear of potentially dangerous situations on the road. It can be tempting to react to a frustrating situation.The safest option is always to avoid any possible accidents when a fellow driver is acting recklessly. Consider these tips on staying defensive while on the road:
- Stay calm and avoid reacting too quickly to the situation.
- Keep in mind that reckless drivers can still cause accidents while you are driving correctly and driving defensively is the way to go.
Save Food and Drink for Your Destination
We are all busy, so it’s tempting to save some time by taking your meal on the road. However, food can be just as distracting as checking your text messages. It only takes a few seconds to cause an accident just because you looked away to take a bite. Take these things into consideration when you’re driving:
- Plan ahead so you have enough time to eat before leaving your location.
- Eat handheld snacks with minimal packaging.
- Use cups with straws to make drinking easier.
In the end, accidents happen and that’s where the attorneys at Gebhard Law can help. Gebhard Law can help Milwaukee and those in the surrounding area in the event that something happens on the road. The lawyers at Gebhard can determine if you need an attorney and the best course of action after your accident. Find more information on Gebhard and its lawyers here and remember to avoid being distracted while driving with these easy tips.